Friday, July 30, 2010

Fever, X-Ray and EKG Oh MY!

This little beauty...
gave me a hug this morning and I was shocked when it felt like I was hugging a fire! She had not complained of not feeling well even one time!! I took her temp. and it was 101.4. She told me that her throat has hurt for two days and her forehead hurts (a headache). I gave her ibuprofen and called the doctor. She hadn't felt well for two days and hadn't even mentioned it to me...I was so sad and felt like a bad mommy! I told her that my job is to take care of her and I really want her to tell me from now on when she is feeling icky :(

Off to the doctor we went this afternoon. I assumed that she had strep throat with the sore throat, headache and fever but the rapid strep test came back negative. The doctor said that a viral sickness has been going around that starts with fever and headache and then turns to a rash in a couple of days. He said her throat really wasn't that red. No medicine, it has to resolve on its own, motrin for fever/pain.

So we start talking about the fact that I just scheduled Lexy for allergy testing (her appt. is in Sept) and I ask if the way she gets so red in the face and fatigued when running/playing is something that has to do with allergies/asthma and should I talk to the allergy dr. about that. The dr. says that usually that would be more cardio/pulmonary related and starts listening to her heart. After a little bit he says that there is a murmer that he hasn't heard before and when he layed his fingers over her heart the beating was actually moving his fingers. He decided that he wanted to take a closer look to make sure there isn't a problem so he ordered a chest x-ray and EKG. We had to do it today b/c he said that the problem he is looking for is only detectable when there is extra fluid in the body, the person has been fatigued by running, etc. or when running fever so he wanted it done while she was running fever. So we headed to the hospital, Lexy did very well with all her tests and she loved looking at her x-ray. I asked her if I could take a picture of her with all her EKG wires hooked up for the blog and she said "no way mommy" which made the nurse laugh :-)

I'm not worrying yet, this pediatrician is notorious for being too careful and ordering tests that end up showing nothing (like Brooke's heart tests last year). But I want to be on the safe side and I will have every test done that he thinks needs done, I would never forgive myself if I didn't do everything and something was wrong in the end! I figure we'll hear something about the results of the tests next week after the dr. looks them over.

I'm really wondering about that strep test though. Lexy, Mike and I all have sore throats tonight. Hopefully none of us get worse over the weekend, I really don't want to make an ER trip.

2 comments:

debi9kids said...

Oh my! I knew you said something about this on FB I think. Geez! Good that she wasn't scared.
Will say prayers that it's nothing serious.

Dawn Parsons Smith said...

Sending along hugs and prayers for good news!

My daughter (age 7) went through this and it turns out it was connected to her allergies.