Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Our Story - how "WE" came to be

Today I am joining in on the SWAK Carnival at We are THAT Family, Kristen has challenged us to create a post about our husbands in honor of Valentine's Day. To do this I've decided to go Way Back (for Way Back Whens-day) and tell the story of how "we" came to be.


The Beginning: I met Mike at the tender age of almost 17 years old while I was driving thru the park where he was working. To say the least, my parents were NOT happy with the age difference between the two of us (10 yrs), to the point that they made the decision that I would not be allowed to see him. As most teenagers will, I totally ignored my parents wishes and continued to see Mike for the next 8 months without their blessing or knowledge. I believe that those eight months set the foundation for our strong marriage today. We spoke on the phone (after my parents were in bed) for hours each evening (many times falling asleep together on the phone) getting to know one another. We would sneak (and NO Brooke & Lexy this will NEVER be a good idea!) to see each other a couple of times a week.

After about 8 months of sneaking around and avoiding getting caught (yeah, not so proud of those lies) my parents had a change of heart. I'll never know what went thru their heads or what the discussions were like (but as a parent now I can only imagine what kind of heartache I put them thru) but I was told that they would rather meet Mike and get to know him than to lose me as my 18th birthday was getting close. That first meeting was nerve wracking for all those involved but it turned out wonderful...I've often said that I think that they grew to love Mike more than me!!

The Wedding: Mike and I continued to see each other for four years before getting married in Sept. 1994. I thought this was WAY to long to wait and let my feelings be known often but looking back I'm glad that I had that time to grow up and time for us to build trust before settling down. We had the most beautiful outdoor ceremony in a gazebo in the middle of town with family and friends surrounding us although all I really remember is looking up to the gazebo while walking down the aisle with my dad thinking "thank goodness Mike is here, he looks so handsome". Mike made me feel so beautiful that day and he continues to do so. After our wonderful wedding we took a week long honeymoon in Jamaica where we had a great time.


Today: 14 years after getting married (18 years after meeting) I am still madly in love with this man! I may not tell him often enough but being with him makes me happy everyday.

He has been the BEST daddy that I could have ever dreamed of for our two beautiful daughters and to the many foster kids that we have shared our home with. He is caring, compassionate, patient and always willing to play or listen to a story when one of the kids request it.

Mike has been my rock, my shoulder to cry on and the person I most want to share my good news with for 18 years. He has supported our family and I in so many ways. When challenges and struggles present themselves, Mike is my rock to lean on. I know he will always be there when I need him. He has seen me at my best and at my worst and for not one moment in the past 18 years have I felt his love for me waiver. He shows me daily how much I am cared for and unconditionally loved...I hope I make him feel the same way!!

13 comments:

Rachel@just another day in paradise said...

so sweet!

SouthernDogwoods said...

What a great story & pics! Found you via Twinfatuation!

Shanda said...

What a wonderful story. It is beautiful how you have opened your home and shared your family with foster children as well.

I'm looking forward to getting to "know" you and will be praying blessings upon your marriage!

Muthering Heights said...

Sweet story - and I love the flashback photos!

Upstatemamma said...

How awesome!!! The more of these I read the more it seems to me that it is those of us that met our Hubby's at an early age who are in the best place. Isn't it so great that your parents decided to be more open minded.

Jesica said...

Fantastic pictures! It sounds like you have a very special relationship that will carry you through many more years of marital bliss :)

Cheryl Lage said...

Oh I LOVE the story of your love!
(and oh, those secrets we kept as young people do kind of scare us now as parents, don't they!?!)

Happy Way Back When-esday, and thanks for playing along..hope you will often!

IE Mommy Blogger said...

I love "love" stories. You guys look happy. Swing by the IE Mommy to read my story. This is so much fun!

Kristen said...

What a sweet story! Love the pictures too. Thanks for sharing and participating!

Stonefox said...

This is a great story and I love to see marriages that are thriving years later. Thanks for sharing!

Natalie said...

thanks for sharing...great story and fun pictures!

Ms Cupcake said...

Great story!

Hi! Dropping by from sits. A friendly welcome from a fellow blogger. I'm sponsoring a Valentine's Day giveaway at my blog, in case you're interested.

Zen Cupcake Blog

Decor To Adore said...

I am a bit late in visiting via the SWAK carnival, but what a great post!