Thursday, June 25, 2009

Writer's Workshop - Poem to my boys

Over at Mama's Losin' It, Mama Kat hosts a writer's workshop where we choose one of the prompts listed and write a story/poem about that prompt.
My prompt for the day is...3.) Write a poem for the little boy in your life...


TO MY BOYS...

Your names and birthstones on my mother's bracelet remind me
of the things that I thought could be.
You were my little boys in every way
I think about, pray for and wish you were still here every day.
I cherished each moment we had
thoughts of when I had to hand you over still make me sad.
I loved you as my own
and I hope that you felt that as you have grown.


This poem was written for two of our foster babies that were truly "our boys" in every way. Alex was our third placement, he came to us at 2 days old and left at 12 1/2 mos. old. Isaiah was our sixth placement, he came to us at 3 mos. old and left at 18 mos. old. I'll have to write their stories sometime, both stories are lengthy, sad and hard for me to think about still.

3 comments:

Something In The Glass said...

What sweet pictures.

You're poem broke my heart... How lucky they are to have had someone give them the love they needed at that time in their lives.

Anonymous said...

(((Hugs)))
Adorable babies.

KatBouska said...

Ugh! You've got to be kidding me. I talk about fostering all the time, but I don't know if I could hand over a baby who had been with me since day one. Your heart must ache for them. How long ago was it? And did you foster more kids after that? How extremely difficult for you!

But your poem is beautiful...and I think it's so sweet that you have a mothers bracelet with their birthstones!!