Thursday, August 27, 2009

Bad day, Good day

Lexy had a horrible, terrible, no good day yesterday...actually she has been having a hard time all week. She didn't want to get up and get ready yesterday morning, she was crying before school. After school she told me that she hadn't went in to eat breakfast before school b/c she didn't want to eat at school and she had only eaten pickle chips and cake at lunch time b/c she didn't like what they had. She was just plain MAD yesterday afternoon. While waiting for Brooke to get out of school, Lexy had a crying, kicking her feet, screaming, angry fit in the van. After I got her calmed down I asked her what was wrong and she said..."I hate doing school work, I hate that my teacher tells me what to do all day, I hate eating breakfast and lunch at school, I don't want to go back to school" all while crying big crocodile tears.

Lexy has always liked to do things in her own time and she easily gets distracted so I can see how having to do school work and be told what to do all day is frustrating for her...although like I told her , there's not much we can do about that...everyone must go to school and work. But I did tell her that we could work on the breakfast/lunch situation and that we would look each night at what was being served and she could choose to eat at school or from home. This seemed to make her happy and she was happy the rest of the evening, even cooperating at homework time (another hard time for her).

This is all new territory for me since Brooke has always loved school and is very organized and easily gets her school work and homework done. I did some research online last night about ADD (Lexy has a lot of the signs and genetically is predisposed to it) for some tips on how to make school easier and found some things that may help her. This is going to be a learning experience for me too!!

This morning I woke Lexy up early and told her that if she still wanted to eat breakfast at home today that she would need to get up and ready without prompting. She got right up and with minimal prompting had everything done in time to eat breakfast at home. We had also decided to pack her lunch today. On the way to school I asked her "are you going to have a good day today?" and she said "yes, because you loved me and packed my lunch for me"...that brought tears to my eyes, how could I refuse such a simple request when it made all the difference in the world to my little girl!

Happy Lexy with her lunch bag this morning...

Hopefully this afternoon will go just as smoothly!

3 comments:

Jeanette said...

What a lovely blog you have! What a happy little girl! Good for you "Super Mom".

Happy SITStas Day!

Stephanie Faris said...

Awwww. I love the lunch box. I hope today went better.

Hannah said...

You sound like a wonderful Mom. And your little girl is very lucky.

www.FunnyPhotosContest.com Submit CUTE or FUNNY photos and tell friends to vote for them. No entry fee.